Sunday, December 4, 2011

Sunday Sips: Christmas Ale

Beer Name:  Christmas Ale

Brewed By/In:  Great Lakes Brewing Company / Cleveland, OH

ABV:  7.5%

Best Served In:  Pint Glass

Characteristics:  This golden ruby pour is effervescent and aromatic.  It smells of citrus and tastes of spice with notes of honey, cinnamon, and ginger.  White head disappears quickly leaving an ever-thinning lace around the glass.  Medium-full mouthfeel, bready tasting.  The heat of the spices sit on the back of the palate, but not too hoppy.  

Food-pairing:  Winter fare - root vegetable soups, light meats

Overall:  8.7 - the first sips bring me right back to the smell of walking into my parents' house on a break from college.  True to its style, this winter warmer does just that.  The spices keep my mouth and my insides feeling toasty.  Besides, the label rings the holiday spirit.  They say this tastes even better from the tap.  So for my Philadelphians, head to Hawthorne's Cafe. With only 296 batches produced for the 2011 season, this brew is only available from November 1-late December.   Act fast if you want to enjoy this ginger bread brew!

I felt that it was appropriate to honor the lighting of my first Christmas tree with this holiday ale.  Let's raise a glass to hanging ornaments made in the first grade.  Slainte!

No comments:

Post a Comment