Thursday, December 15, 2011

Getting Grounded with Gravity



High gravity?  Low gravity?  'Scuse me?  Aren't we all feeling the effects of gravity right now?  Well I guess something similar happens to beer.   The original gravity subtracted from the final specific gravity identifies the alcohol content.

SG_\text{true} = SG_\text{apparent} - {\rho_\text{air} \over \rho_\text{water} }(SG_\text{apparent}-1)
This formula actually calculates...something.  Too much?  Jibberish?

Okay, let me try another way.  I was hearing about this whole gravity thing and thought I would begin to comprehend it.  I will start by defining some of the phrases I previously recklessly thrown out.


Original gravity (OG) - starting measurement of the density of fermentable sugars mixed with malt and water

Final Specific Gravity (FSG) - measurement of the density of remaining fermentable sugars mixed with malt and water when brewing process has finished

How does one measure this so-called "gravity?"  A hydrometer!  After taking drips from your batch-to-be into a graduated cylinder, dip this thermometer-looking weighted tool into the liquid.  Operating on Archimedes' Principle, the density of the liquid will determine where the hydrometer will buoy.  The density should vary from the original sampling to the final.  I found this simple and informative video (below) that gives the skinny of how to measure the potential alcohol content when brewing.



No comments:

Post a Comment