Sunday, April 15, 2012

Sunday Sips: Fleur de Lehigh

Beer Name:  Fleur de Lehigh

Brewed By / In:  Philadelphia Brewing Co. / Philadelphia, PA

Beer Type:  Belgian-style Golden Ale

Best Served In:  Over-sized Wine Glass, Tulip, Snifter

ABV:  4.75%

Characteristics:  Upon removing the cap, the sweet, citrusy notes immediately alerted my olfactory bulb.  Pours a hazy, golden amber color - certainly holding up its "Unfiltered Golden Ale" tagline.  Decent head and lacing throughout.  As it ebbs and and flows on my tongue and palate, I taste everything this local brew has to offer.  There is a vibrancy of floral and herbal offerings, perkiness of lemongrass, an intensity of ginger and a smoothness of honey.  

Food-pairing:  Grilled chicken, Crab cakes

Overall:  9.5 - I am afraid of committing to a 10, but this beer surpassed my expectations immensely and has shot towards the top of my favorites list.  The smells and flavors buckled my seat belt for Spring.  These complex flavors somehow allow for simple enjoyment.  Only since beginning this blog have I realized the significance of glassware on the craft brew experience (I promise, I will figure out a way to write more about glassware in future posts).  Drinking out of a wine glass concentrated the aromas, which enhanced the tasting experience.  Also, the label features the original Philadelphia baseball stadium, Shibe Park - who doesn't love a good historical reference?  Hurry, this PBC seasonal only has a few more weeks left!

Here's to an amazing 25th birthday and another year of happiness, health, and prosperity.  Slainte!

I apologize, yet again, for going on hiatus.  I have had much celebrating to do these last few weeks with some very special people.  Tonight, I am back on track both here and on Twitter @JamesLDuffy.  

(Photos provided by author)

No comments:

Post a Comment