Sunday, May 20, 2012

Sunday Sips: Saison

Beer Name:  Saison

Brewed By/In:  Yard's Brewing Co. / Philadelphia, PA

Beer Type:  Saison/Farmhouse Ale

Best Served In:  Tulip, Pint, Oversized wine glass

ABV:  6.5%

Characterstics:  Stunning hazy amber-orange color, topped with a brilliant white foam.  Slight carbonation.  Smells of yeast and sweet bread.  Tastes of orange, sweetened with honey and sugar, but warmed with (what tastes like) clove.  Finishes dry.  Sticky lacing throughout.

Foods-pairing: Spicy foods

Overall:  9.0 - Historically, Saisons were brewed to keep Belgian farm workers happy and hydrated during the long, hot summer days.  Although I am not working hard on the farm, or really working hard at all right now sitting on my porch, I am feeling both hydrated and happy with this local choice.  YBC's Saison is high in alcohol content but the citrus and sugar lend themselves to a crisp and light drinking experience.  If you enjoy a Belgian-style Pale Ale, you may also enjoy this Saison as well.  Besides the labels features on of my favorite symbols, the fleur de lis.  This is one of YBC's few beers on their seasonal line, you have until July to give it a go.  Let's a raise to lazy days on the porch and appreciating the slow down of the ever-approaching summer time.  Slainte!

2 comments:

  1. I want to make beer at home
    Tell how to make

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Devesh, thanks for your comment! Unfortunately, I am not a homebrewer myself, but I have friends and family members who are. It certainly is a long process that requires certain conditions and equipment in order to produce perfect beer. You may want to consider doing internet searches for step by step instructions. One great resource of information is this website - http://beeradvocate.com/articles/317. I hope you find what you are looking for and thank you for reading my blog! Please share with others!

    ReplyDelete