Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Book Review: Artisan Beer

Gary Monterosso is an award-winning beer writer.  In his first book, the 148 page Artisan Beer, he provides guidance, tips and tricks for beer novices to beer aficionados.  As the cover reads, it is the "complete guide to savoring the world's finest beers."  As I travel this journey to learn more about craft beer, its history, its current place, and its future, I found this book to be a great "101" introduction.

Monterosso provides a thorough overview of ale and lager types.  Needless to say, my head was spinning with the amount of information but my tastebuds were awaiting all of the flavors he discussed.  Since starting this book, I hope my Sunday Sips entries paint a clearer picture, as I focus on feeling and tasting all that he describes.  One of my favorite readings of this book discusses beer and food pairings.  Monterosso charts food and its complementary beer.  As a man searching for the perfect pairings (well, even suitable pairings), I am better equipped to make those decisions.  I especially love his view in that beer can be a more affordable option than wine when making pairings (and I love a good deal).  He even includes a large section of "How do I..."-type questions.  There are beautiful glossy photos of hops, glassware, and Monterosso's "dream team" case of beer.  What I particularly love about this read is that the information can be reviewed and pulled in segments for my particular needs or questions.

Monterosso's book is informative and approachable with a clear enthusiasm for the art of craft brewing.  Coming from an education background, he assures the reader that he offers only one perspective and that there is more to discover.  I am sure that my appreciation of beer and breweries has only heightened after reading Artisan Beer.  Interested?  Buy it HERE.  Learn more about Gary Monterosso by visiting his website.  Thank you to my better half for such a great read!



(Image provided by Google Images)

No comments:

Post a Comment