Monday, February 6, 2012

Sunday Sips: Chicory Stout

Beer Name:  Chicory Stout

Brewed By / In:  Dogfish Head Craft Brewery / Milton, DE

Best Served In:  Stein

ABV:  5.2%

Characteristics:  Opaque, black stream from the bottle to the glass - I was in awe.  Roasted and robust flavors - the chicory, coffee, and oatmeal flavors fill the mouth but are smooth and even slightly sweet.  Zero head and lacing, zero carbonation.  The aromas leave much to be desired - one malty tone.  The velvety mouthfeel more than makes up for the lack of an olfactory experience.  Although my palate is overwhelmed (in the good way) with flavor, I am not feeling bloated.

Food-pairing:  Mint Chocolate Chip Frozen Yogurt (I am currently eating this while drinking the beer and I can feel the chocolate and mint zing on my palate.  I am thoroughly enjoying what is happening over here.)

Overall:  9.0 - Without the dessert at its side, I am not sure if I could have as easily enjoyed this stout but it paired fantastically!  Having a dessert like mint and chocolate at its side kept my tastebuds wanting more.  Sadly, this is a winter creation of one of my favorite breweries so there is a limited time to enjoy this libation, but very much so worth the wait until next year in case you miss it.  I would gladly order this with a bright or cool dessert at the end of a hearty meal.

Here's to being a day late but not a dollar short.  Slainte!

No comments:

Post a Comment