Sunday, February 19, 2012

Sunday Sips: Anchor Steam

Beer Name:  Anchor Steam

Brewed By / In:  Anchor Brewing Company / San Francisco, CA


Best Served In:  Stein, Pilsner, Pint glasses

ABV:  4.9%

Characteristics:  Pours a deep amber with faint bready aroma exuding from the glass.  Poor head yet playfully effervescent (a result of true steam brewing).  Although bubbly, the flavor underwhelms the palate.  A little bitterness but nothing really complex to appreciate, finishes a little flat.

Food-pairing:  Coconut-breaded shrimp

Overall:  7.0 - the forefront of flavor is short-lived but allows to be sessioned; I finished before I realized it.  Although I appreciate the story of steam beers and Anchor's ability to brew the "California Common," I was not a huge fan of the overall flavor.  I will say, anyone who is beginning their quest into craft beer drinking, this is a fantastic segue from the mass-produced brews.  Slainte!

(Photos by Author)

No comments:

Post a Comment