Thursday, July 26, 2012

So I pretended I was on Next Food Network Star

If you will recall, back in December, I wrote about my use of Strongbow Cider as a featured ingredient when making chicken and onions.  Since then, I have contemplated how else I can incorporate beer into the meal experience, besides letting it sit at the corner of my placemat.  So Tuesday night, amidst doing laundry, cleaning my bathroom and kitchen, I figured I would add one more project - make my own sauce.


I reviewed the options - Abita Purple Haze, Philadelphia Brewing Co's Walt Wit and Victory's Prima Pils.  Thinking of each of their flavor profiles, Victory won.  I poured about 4-5 ounces into my pan to deglaze from the chicken I just finished.  As a point of reference, that was all of the beer in the neck and some change.  Once the beer was warmed up, I started whisking to get all of the flavor off of the pan.  After about  a minute, I added a spoonful of grey poupon mustard to the pan.  Prima Pils has a clean but hoppy finish so I figured the mustard would help cut the concentrated hops taste.  I let all of those flavors meld together for about another minute.  I dipped my pinkie.  It tasted great.  The chicken had been resting for a few minutes at this point.  As you can see from the photos, I placed the chicken on a bed of greens and then used the sauce more as a dressing for the whole dish.  I tried to be crafty and place the sauce in a shot glass for added effect in the presentation.  How did it taste?  Not half bad!  The chicken had a nice peppery crust.  As for the sauce, I think it complemented the meal well.  The mustard helped cut the floral flavors of the beer but there was a slight bitter aftertaste.

What would I do differently next time?  I probably could have even used a little more mustard or perhaps a squeeze of lemon for added acidity.  Prima Pils was my best choice among the selection in my fridge, but a beer high with malts and low in hops may have yielded a better sauce.  I am thinking maybe Yard's Brawler or Philadelphia's Kenzinger could be interesting choices.

Slainte!

No comments:

Post a Comment