Sunday, March 31, 2013

Cheers, Salud, Slainte!

My favorite part of any gathering of friends is when the server returns, places the drink around the table, and we show our appreciation for each other by clinking and clanging our glasses.  Around the table you hear the standard, "Cheers!"  As I sat with a few of my fellow Hawks, we toasted to ourselves and to our friendship.  Then a question popped into my head: how would the rest of the world respond to a raised glass?  Here are some of my favorites that I found!

Hebrew: L'chaim (la-HI-yim)
Italian: Salute (sah-LOO-teh)
Spanish: Salud (sah-LOOD)
French: Sante (sant-AY)
German: Prost (PROOST)

And of course my favorite, the Gaelic word, Slainte (SLAHN-cha).  So here's to the next time you want to look cultured with your nearest and dearest!

No comments:

Post a Comment